Melissa Holt, DNP, PMHNP-BC, MSW
Psycho-Oncology: Supporting the Mental Health of Oncology Patients
Psycho-oncology or psychosocial oncology is a sub-specialty of oncology that addresses the psychological, behavioral, emotional, and social issues that arise for cancer patients and their families. A cancer diagnosis, the treatments that follow, and the adverse effects of cancer treatments are all very distressing for patients. Psycho-oncology includes providers from various disciplines that work together as a team to best support the complex needs people face when struggling with cancer. This lecture focuses on the psychiatric care of patients with cancer and looks at the common psychiatric syndromes seen in psycho-oncology, appropriate medications and treatment plans, and how psychiatry can best support people with cancer. Untreated or poorly managed psychiatric syndromes, such as depression and anxiety, can have a profound negative impact on decision-making, compliance, and quality of life during cancer care.
- Identify psychiatric syndromes that may impede oncologic care.
- Improve your understanding of psychopharmacology in the cancer setting.
- Recognize when it is appropriate to refer to psycho-oncology.
In the PDF, contact/Location information can be add into a "hidden" text box located beneath the Lecture Description. This box appears as a bluish grey box when the PDF is opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader (a FREE program). However, the box is invisible—but still there—when the PDF is opened in Apple Preview. Anything typed into this box will print.
Roster Template (with disclosure information)
*Please note that in order to receive credit for viewing a live lecture, participants must be listed on a roster submitted by their site coordinator.
- Equipment Call-In Number: email@example.com
- Equipment Call-In Passcode: 484761
- The site will be live starting at 3:30pm--please have your equipment on at this time.
- Learning Portal Webinar Registration Link: https://learn.unclcn.org/02162022
- MediaSite Live Link: unclcn.org/live
- Use if you have problems connecting your video conferencing system or WebEx.
- Instructions on how to use the MediaSite Player interface.
- Downloadable PDF
Please click here to upload your roster.